Wednesday, March 12, 2008

California: Take 1

The most recent pictures are of traveling that I have done in Southern California. My first stop after driving across California was in Pasadena. It was nice to finally make it all the way to some West Coast beaches. The volume in LA was turned up pretty high even for a Sunday night. I found myself sitting in traffic on a hot, sunny, day in Southern California without AC in the VOLVO. I must say, it beats the heck out of the hot days in Washington DC when I was dressed down in a black suit just trying to figure out how I'd keep myself from sweating before I walked into an office for an architectural presentation. All it took was one good walk through the streets of Pasadena to realize that the people out here are glamorous. If your not in the top 5% percent where you live, than it is probably not gonna be a good idea to move to LA anytime soon, I just think we'd all feel a little ugly out here.

My good friend Caitlin and I made our way out to Santa Monica Blvd. and the run on the beach was excellent. By the time we stopped we had crossed over into Venice Beach. For those of you who aren't familiar with the freak show that is Venice Beach, just picture a boardwalk that is tripping on acid. The rest of the evening in Santa Monica was beautiful. The sunset was tremendous, as most all of them have been in my first week of travel. The weather couldn't have been any more ideal. I'm waiting for the weather to take a turn for the worst. It appears that their may be some rain on the way, but at this point I haven't seen a day under 65 degrees, and the last several in Indio, CA have been nearly 90. Santa Monica Blvd is just like you would imagine it to be. Street preformers, coffee shops, bars, and of course shopping, make up the 3rd street promonade. The only pedestrian mall in the U.S. that I've seen that is anything like it is the Lincoln Road Mall down in famed South Beach.

After arriving in Indio, CA where Caitlin's grandparents live we took a day and made our way 20 miles east to Joshua Tree National Park. Famous for it's rock formations and fascinating desert wild flowers, this park see's it's fare share of tourists. However, it's an enormous park and easy to get lost in, which of course I set out to do. After a couple of hikes, and a walk through the rock maze I decided I needed to run a few miles in the middle of the desert to feel like I'd really experienced the full scope of Joshua Tree. Insistant that Caitlin drive the car up 5 miles and wait for me, I set out on my trek. After nearly breaking my ankle a couple of times and begining to hallucinate from the heat, I finally made it back to the car. Caitlin was smiling with a bottle of water. She had no idea how bad I needed that water.

With three National Parks under my belt now, I am anxious to get up to cooler climates. It's been really nice down here in the Valley. Caitlin's grandparents have made staying in Indio, CA a first class spa. This morning I played tennis, lifted weights, and sat around by the pool for a few hours working on my tan. Which I'll need to compete in the glamour war when I get back to LA tomorrow. It's easy to feel at home on a trip like this when you have friends to spend your time with. Caitlin leaves Friday morning, and I'll make my way up the Pacific Coast to see new things. Some of them by myself, and some with new friends along the way.